Are you trying to improve your written communication?
Want to ensure your writing is error-free and easy to read?
Are you looking to get rid of spelling mistakes or a grammatical mistakes, which can be rather embarrassing!
Then I’m sure you will agree that Grammarly is your answer.
In today's post, I’m going to introduce you to Grammarly in my personal Grammarly Review, the software I’m using to supercharge my writing performance
You don’t need any technical know-how to use it, and it will really change the way you write, while save you TIME.
Initially published on: May 14, 2019
Updated : 04 Oct 2019
Product rating: 4.8 / 5.0
Grammarly Enhance your written communication everywhere you type!. Grammarly will make sure your messages, documents, and social media posts are clear, mistake-free, and impactful.
What Exactly Is Grammarly?
Grammarly might be the best suite of writing tools on the market today. Even the most basic functions (i.e., the free version) can improve anyone’s writing skills by:
- Removing / suggesting / correcting the most common spelling errors.
- Check for multiple types of syntax errors in your document.
- Integrates with posts, writing online or in almost any document.
- “Proofreads” for you and offers suggestions / corrective ideas.
- More tools for pro-like plagiarism checker, writing styles, etc.
Yet Grammarly is so much more than just this as you will soon discover. You can use Grammarly immediately by downloading the free version here:
Who Can Benefit From Grammarly And Why?
While it's true that almost anyone can benefit from Grammarly, the folks that will find it most beneficial are:
- Anyone who writes for a living.
- Anyone who needs to improve their grammar, sentence structure, and writing style.
- Anyone who wants to make life easier by having powerful and professional writing tools.
- Bloggers, copywriters, journalists, teachers.
- High school students, college-bound, college students.
- Professionals of all kinds.
Grammarly may be the single most important tool that you ever use to assist, enhance and grow your writing skills.
The Need For Grammarly Is Everywhere
In everyday life, we must continuously send e-mails, write letters, documents, posts, and correspondence.
Grammarly integrates seamlessly with all of these requirements so that it is always there for you when you need it.
Grammarly is like having your own professional English major watching everything you do and offering corrections immediately. This can easily save you:
- Hours and hours as you hone and perfect your writing skills.
- Embarrassment, for sending documents riddled with errors.
- Confusion, so that you say what you mean and mean what you say.
- Money, because mistakes can cost you!
These powerful reasons are just the tip of the iceberg.
Now you can finally have real control over what you write because you can alter writing styles at will (see Dashboard section) so your expertise can shift from casual to business or other essential styles.
Because Grammarly is so versatile, you will begin to learn effective writing strategies as well. Even someone that's completely clueless or learning English as a second language, you can't go wrong.
Grammarly adapts to different writing styles, the intent of the content that you're creating, and blends everything to suit the audience that will be reading your posts, documents, etc.
You can expect additional benefits by simply using Grammarly such as:
- Increased knowledge of writing, sentence structure, and spelling.
- Increased skill of being able to put together written content quickly.
- Ongoing learning about all aspects of producing written content.
What amazing tool Grammarly is so let's turn our attention to how Grammarly works with you to adapt to you.
How Grammarly Works Best To Adapt To You
The amazing thing about Grammarly is that it adapts to you, your writing style and so much more.
If you missed it above, you should download the free version.
Once you've done this, you will be able to benefit from the correction feature immediately as well as suggestions for sentence structure.
This means that you can begin to play around with Grammarly and see how can immediately benefit you because now you can catch some of the most common embarrassing errors that people make when they're writing:
- Misspellings, typos, syntax errors, punctuation.
- Sentence structure, fragments, capitalization.
These reasons alone are good enough to try Grammarly, and they will certainly help you decide to go from free to Pro.
In fact, you'll love all of these features so much that if Grammarly is accidentally turned off, you will notice it immediately.
Best of all everything is automatic, and you need only decide what to do when Grammarly detects a problem like this:
As you can see in the image above, the tool is integrated with almost any writing function that you need to do. Here we are actually inside Grammarly, looking at our latest document.
When a mistake is detected, Grammarly will highlight and explain precisely what the issue might be:
- Grammarly highlights the error so that it stands out
in your document or post.
- Grammarly offers the corrective change by clicking on
the green corrected text.
- Grammarly clarifies the best possible solution to sentence structure.
- Grammarly offers other suggestions for writing style(s) and how to target your audience better (i.e., business/audience/ emotion etc.).
- Grammarly allows for an immediate upgrade to the pro version if you wish.
The power to have Grammarly checking everything that you do means fewer errors. Over time as you learn to use the tools correctly, you can expect near flawless documents, posts, and articles.
Isn't that worth considering the Pro version of Grammarly?
The Grammarly Dashboard And You
The dashboard to access Grammarly is where all the fun and knowledge begins! The program is very simple to use, even intuitive, yet has some aspects that you will come to understand quickly:
- My Grammarly - this is where your current documents are uploaded and stored. Here Grammarly begins to work its magic.
- The Profile - here is where your personal dictionary, language preference, and account information can be located.
- The Subscription - here you can summarize your current plan, manage your existing subscription or edit or change billing information.
- Apps - here are downloadable App links, such as Grammarly for Microsoft office, Grammarly for Windows, and Grammarly for chrome. This section also shows which of the apps are currently active.
As you can see, the dashboard is quite easy to use, and all of Grammarly's best features are tied directly and can be accessed through this dashboard.
This allows customization of all of the tools and they are automatically configured through the applications that are extended to your computer.
What this means is that Grammarly operates seamlessly in the background and only notifies you when it detects an issue with the current article, blog post or document that you're working on.
As for adaptability, Grammarly has 1 click install apps that integrate the program to your computer so it works seamlessly in the background:
For example, we can see the apps page here. By just clicking the red install button you can install Grammarly immediately throughout your most active portions of your computer, such as for Chrome or Microsoft Office.
Here we can also install Grammarly for windows.
Adjust Writing Styles And Learn To Optimize
By adjusting the language preference, Grammarly can give you feedback on your writing, and this will suggest new ways to improve your style and other skills.
All of the suggestions are real-time because they interact with you and your document when you need this information the most.
Whether you are writing a formal business letter, and informal toast to the groom, a professional presentation or many other daily tasks that require a degree of writing finesse, this feature will help you in many ways.
Can You Upload Books, Manuscripts And More For Proofreading?
Yes, just about any document you can imagine can be uploaded to Grammarly.
Once uploaded, the document exists inside of the tool which brings a powerful array of both automatic and suggested corrections.
You can even change how the document is proofread based on the different kinds of people who will be reading it.
For example, you decide to change your writing style to Australian English, so Grammarly compensates by choosing the correct syntax language uses and spellings that are appropriate and unique to each country, in this case, Australia.
This will save you a fortune in needing to use cross-country proofreaders or proofreaders in general.
Grammarly Is Your Best Friend
If you're a writer that doesn't have time to always proofread everything, this is a fantastic way to double check your work even if no other eyes see the document.
Not only will this save you money and aggravation but now your first and best line of defense for a flawless document can be achieved without needing to hire expensive professionals.
How To Start Using Grammarly App
1. After logging into your account, click “Upload” underneath New.
2. Next, create your new title by typing into the box that says so ( you may upload s doc also ) :
3. Now click on writing assistant to the right:
- When you click on start assistant, Grammarly begins to walk you through exactly how to write the best possible document.
- Start by uploading any document you want to be checked.
- Now look as Grammarly gives you the breakdown on the doc:
Can you imagine the disastrous results if you attempted to publish this as a quick blog post or as part of an overall article for your blog?
How embarrassing! Yet all the mistakes are easily identified and corrected based on all of your prior settings. Grammarly to the rescue!
4. Notice the upper right corner above? Click on “Set Goals.”
This will appear:
To Get This :
This panel will allow you to craft each section of the document necessary to emulate intent, your audience, your writing style, the emotional impact and the overall focus of who your audience is, including choices like:
- Academic – write to other scholars, teachers, and schools.
- Business – emulate the right basined format and impress bosses, customers, and associates.
- Technical – this setting helps you stick to the facts and focus on delivering data correctly to those in this domain.
- Creative - let your mind take charge!
- Casual – how you would speak to a friend or a friendly associate.
The Analysis: Problems With Our Document
After a quick analysis, Grammarly has highlighted the obvious mistakes.
Here we can see actionable steps that need to be taken because Grammarly constantly updates and offers corrections to ongoing errors in real-time.
This means that even if you make changes, Grammarly will check and proofread your written content again making sure that the new changes are also correct.
The Results: How And What To Fix
The same works for Word :
Imagine a tool that is so effective at helping you write and target your audience, that it will increase the amount of money that you will make as a marketer.
Even if you're not concerned about marketing, the mistakes above in this document would not only be embarrassing but potentially end your career as a writer.
Grammarly explains exactly what's wrong with your document, and will also make suggestions to the overall tone, readability and also measures metrics like:
- Overall performance based on a numerical scale.
- Your list of set goals and how closely they apply to the document.
- Important alerts that are in red including one-click fixable issues.
- Spelling, grammar and concise of this of your written document.
- Clarity and proper use of vocabulary.
- Plagiarism Detector.
The interesting thing to note is that even if you have the best-written document in the world if they're too many similarities to other documents, there is a chance of scoring too high on the plagiarism detector.
By just changing your sentence structure a bit, it is possible to provide quality content without stepping on other people's toes accidentally!
While no writer wishes to be accused of plagiarism, this is perhaps one of the best tools because you will know immediately if your document is similar to other documents or for some reason appears to be partially plagiarized.
Plagiarism is a huge deal in the academic world. It is almost impossible to write any document nowadays without a small degree of plagiarism, simply because there are millions of documents that already exist that may have similar sentence fragments or combinations of words that could imply small-scale plagiarism.
Your college professor will be using this tool to check for plagiarism, if you're attending college!
Further, a professional who produces written content should always run their documents to the proofreader and plagiarism checker and make small changes to finalize your document.
Grammarly Automatic Suggestions Based On Your Settings
Depending on the kind of settings that you've given Grammarly, suggestions will appear to the right of your document.
These are specific to the requirements of the document as well.
Any time you see something green, it means the Grammarly is doing its job, and all you need do to cooperate with suggestions is to click on the green word or words. Grammarly does everything else!
You can then choose what may be the most appropriate of several suggestions, and as those words change the document, Grammarly will also readjust your sentence structure with a single click of a button.
Finally critiquing, proofreading, checking grammar, checking syntax, checking punctuation, and providing top suggestions are simple as a mouse click.
What About Mac Users?
Image Source: Pixabay.com
Grammarly does have premium service points for Mac users. This is important because many professionals prefer using Mac computers due to the decrease in viruses and the ability to run multiple programs seamlessly.
Many marketers also prefer Mac computers.
Interestingly enough, when you go to download your free version of Grammarly, the software detects your computer and will prompt you to upload the correct application so that you may immediately begin using it.
By simply downloading a native desktop application, you'll be able to operate using a Mac. This will also include browser extensions for Chrome, Safari and even Firefox which all operate on Mac.
According to Grammarly support,
“Supported file types are MS Word (.doc, .docx), OpenOffice (.odt), .txt and .rtf”. Source: https://support.grammarly.com for more details.
Adding Grammarly to Chrome means that your spelling and grammar will be vetted on Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Tumblr, and nearly everywhere else you write on the web
Is Grammarly Really As Accurate As They Say?
Grammarly is highly effective at reading English and all of the other writing styles related to English like: British English, Canadian English, and Australian English.
The team a Grammarly devoted many years to perfecting each of the facets that reflect the English language.
Thus, someone from America could use Grammarly to write content that the typical Australian would expect to see just like a native.
Grammarly is THAT good.
This can be a very impressive tool to allow you to take a single document and cross over to British, Canadian or even Australian parlance.
So How Much Will Grammarly Cost?
Obviously, the Pro version of Grammarly is not free. The pricing above is in USD as well.
Yet for just a dollar a day, you can have the Pro version, and if you're willing to pay a little bit more in advance, you'll save even more money!
So for literally the cost of pocket change daily, you could have some of the most advanced writing tools on the planet.
I highly recommend that you upgrade to Pro so that you can experience exactly what Grammarly will do for you.
Reasons why you should consider going pro:
- Supercharge Grammarly by adding all the powerful writing tools.
- END novice errors, misspellings, typos, syntax errors.
- Evolve writing skills progressively and ongoing.
- END the need for multiple proofreaders.
- Double check any document in seconds.
- Access multiple tools seamlessly.
- Guarantee accurate writing.
- Plagiarism checking.
- Vocabulary enhancement.
Of course, we could add much more to this list, but these are the main reasons why you should strongly consider upgrading to Pro after experiencing just how powerful the free version is.
Of course, the free version still contains most of the premium tools, you'll just have to learn to not use the plagiarism checker, the advanced grammar checker, or the vocabulary enhancement suggestions.
Therefore you must decide if you need the additional tools above. Certainly a professional writer will agree that they do, but you may not.
The decision is, of course, yours.
What other big sites say about grammarly :
Grammarly quickly and easily makes your writing better and makes you sound like a pro, or at least helps you avoid looking like a fool. Forbes
good grammar is instrumental in conveying ideas with clarity, professionalism, and precision...Good grammar is simply good business. Harvard Business Review
Service, Support And More
One of the most important things to consider when you purchase a monthly service such as Grammarly is to make sure that there'll always be someone there to help you if needed.
One of my questions was answered in the same date/day , only after few hours of posting :
Good service is a hallmark of any business and Grammarly is no exception. Their award-winning, 24-hour service is available 365 days a year.
Of course to have all the other tools, like an information knowledge base that you can consult at any time.
What makes Grammarly stand out is:
- The Pro version finds and fixes a lot more issues and problems.
- The Pro version provides priority e-mail support to paid members first and within 24 hours wherever possible.
- The Pro version consolidates all of Grammarly’s power to your fingertips, so all tools are accessible.
There are other benefits to the Pro version you will be able to access.
As with anything, It can’t all be perfect. While there are some great features within, there are some aspects that could be improved, among them :
The advantages and disadvantages of Grammarly greatly depend on whether or not you are a native English speaker.
My Story With Grammarly
As a writer and blogger, I would often struggle writing articles and stories for my clients and customers.
This was because so many people need and want accurately written content. I was good, but nobody beats what Grammarly can do!
Even though I was a competent writer, I consistently made errors and would have to go through my documents again and again.
If I were fortunate, I would catch well over 90% of little typos, misspellings, sentence fragments and another misuse of vocabulary and words.
It was an absolute nightmare!
Even a college graduate with a background in English, this was no easy task. I am continually writing different types of content, so I need help. This included:
- A proofreader, pre-reader, post-reader, vocabulary guru.
- A spelling whiz, English expert.
- The need to produce content for multiple niches and domains.
For example, I can write a pretty decent business letter, but when it comes to relating on a technical level, I need help with my content so that it is appropriately structured.
When I first stumbled across Grammarly last year, I immediately downloaded and tried the free version.
I was astounded!
Grammarly not only began to clean up my mistakes but actually improve my skills in writing because I can highly target my audience with just a few clicks of my mouse and Grammarly was right there to correct my tone, emotions, logic and proper grammar as applied to everything I now write.
If you are involved in writing on a professional level, or even just want to be a damn good blogger, then Grammarly is entirely for you.
Not only did Grammarly improve my writing skills but I was able to begin to make more money because I didn't have to agonize for hours over documents, often proofreading into the night.
Did I also mention the Grammarly is an excellent if you have vision issues?
Unfortunately, over the years I've managed to lose about half of my visual acuity, so having a tool like Grammarly constantly catching my errors and mistakes is worth far more to me than 30 bucks a month.
Grammarly gave me the following benefits, and I will never forget!
- A constant, intelligent program is watching every keystroke that you are about to publish to SAVE you embarrassment.
- Impress colleagues, business partners, and other professionals.
- Change you’re the writings from gibberish into useful marketing language, readable and powerful content.
- Allow you to focus time on creating brilliant content while Grammarly does the English grunt work.
- It is inspiring more people to read my content because it is now highly effective to deliver to the correct audience and be focused on selling.
- Save you time, money, respect (errors) and expertise costs.
- No longer do I need a proofreader, pre-reader or post-reader.
As a business person or somebody who wants to be extremely accurate and focused with their content, you absolutely must invest in this amazing product that acts like an English teacher and a personal writing guide.
Grammarly helps writers because as they create content, the program is there to analyze exactly what you're doing and give you the right directions.
Not only will Grammarly catch errors, but within the grammar checker is advice that you really should follow up.
This will give writers some unique advantages that other spell checker software is incapable of doing like:
- Identifying sentence fragments, over-wordy sentences.
- The correct use of verbal tenses (i.e., I go, you go, he/she it goes).
- The correct use of prepositions and pronouns.
- Repetitive words, repetitive letters, multiple word use.
- Proper grammar rules for correct use in a sentence.
Over time, you will begin to learn all of these excellent rules and Grammarly will be teaching you every time you make changes to your document.
Of course, all of the other uses for Grammarly still apply, including the enhanced spellchecker, the vocabulary tools and your ever-growing library of correctly spelled words that you will be able to use in the future.
Grammarly relies on the ability to continually upgrade and learn just like you do. This information is expanded to you over time and will continue to help your writing skills improve.
This article has been a fascinating exploration of the power of Grammarly to mold and shape as well as increase almost anyone's writing skills.
Professionals of all kinds will benefit and continue to learn from Grammarly as well as protect yourself from making embarrassing novice mistakes on e-mails, blogs, articles, work documents, books, or just about anything that requires you to send written information to other people.
We've seen the real power of Grammarly and how it is almost intuitive to the point of laughable simplicity!
Quite frankly, as someone who writes every day, I couldn't imagine not having this tool. It is also extremely affordable and does a much better job than 99% of related software.
So what are you waiting for? Why not try Grammarly today and you can do so at the link below, that is if you haven't already downloaded your free version!
Once you've downloaded and seen the benefit of the free version, you can easily upgrade right through the dashboard with little or no difficulty.
I hope that this article has been of great help to you when it comes to deciding having Grammarly in your life.
I know that this will be one of the best decisions that you've ever made and I see no reason why everybody should not have Grammarly for all of their writing.
Find out what you can accomplish with the power of Grammarly at your fingertips.
Affiliate Disclaimer: I hope you enjoyed this Grammarly review. Please note that any links inside this article may be affiliate links to Grammarly. That means that if you click on one of the links and sign up, I may be compensated for it. If you do happen to click, thanks! Any money we make keeps this site running and allows us to keep producing high-quality reviews.